Saturday, January 1, 2011

Movie Review: Boys Don't Cry

Ok... Sometimes I break news just a wee bit late. I have to admit 11 years late may be pushing it, still I feel the need to post something about this movie because I just saw it..

This movie is based off of the actual events leading up to the rape and murder of a young trans man named Brandon Teena. While the actual events took place in Nebraska the movie was filmed in Texas.

This movie is very controversial for many reasons, least of which was the fact that it was originally given a rating of NC-17 (for the rape and murder scenes). Additional controversy surrounding the movie is the fact that Brandon's real life mother became angry because Hillary Swank refereed to Brandon as "He" in her award acceptance speech (Swank won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 1999 for her her role as Brandon). Also, Lana Tisdel (portrayed by Chloƫ Sevigny in the movie) claims the events did not take place as they appear on film and actually sued for defamation of character.

As far as the movie itself, I do not know how to put into words how it made me feel: upset, angry, touched... This could be any of us... If you have not seen this movie you have to go find it and watch it!

Purchase Boys Don't Cry Today at Amazon.com

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I have SOOO many movies in mind that I think you would love. Here are a few. Check em out.

Soldiers Girl
Zerophilia
A Girl Like Me
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Better Than Chocolate

Thats just a few!!! =)