Monday, January 17, 2011

Movie Review: Normal

This movie is about an older married man who decided to transition. It is focused mainly on the strain this places on his marriage and how his small community handles the news.

While this movie could have been excellent (it did get rave reviews), neither myself or my wife related to any of it. The acting is great but the reality of everything is lost a bit. When it boils down to it, this movie does what so many others do. It paints transitioning as being purely focused on the physical and portrays the characters in stereotypical and unrealistic way. I go into this a bit in my post about transition and marriage but basically the director of this movie had no intention in making a movie about transsexuality and how it relates to marriage. Instead, her goal was to use the fact that one of the main characters was transgender as nothing more then a plot thickener.

Again, I wanted more from this movie but was left disappointed.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I totally agree that this movie makes it seem like a man just woke up one day and decided to wear lipstick and be a woman. I saw this one years ago and it was disappointing to me as well.

You know what movie I saw on Netflix and was pretty good was "It's Different For Girls". You should check it out.

Katherine said...

Thanks Elizabeth... I will watch it