Friday, April 8, 2011

What Causes Transsexuality?

Ahh... The ultimate question, why? Seems like as humans we want to be able to find a concrete reason for everything. While I myself don't care why I am the way I am (after all, I can't change it nor would I want to), some people still wonder. Recognizing this I want to point to a few documents that are online that may help shed some light on this very controversial question.


The second one is referenced heavily in the first so I figured it would be beneficial to include it.

I will add that I completely disagree with Blanchard's Autogynephilia Theory (constructed by one Ray Blanchard) which basically states that there are two types of male-to-female transsexuals. The first being gay men who want to become women so they are more accepted by society and the second being described as straight or bisexual men who are sexually aroused by the idea of becoming a woman. This idea is offensive and clearly does not even remotely attempt to take into consideration the individuals true feelings. Also missing (besides a shred of sense) is that this theory completely ignores the female-to-male side of the equation... Maybe he just though all women inherently want to be men?

More

What Causes Transsexualism? (Lynn Conway's Site)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, knowing why IS important.
After all whats the point of arguing with somebody IF you havent even got an arguement.
Furthermore, how can you hold your head up hogh amongst a crowd that is scoffing at you when you arent even validated to yourself that you are biologically rea and not just some wannabe.
Science and faith is what can make or break that validation.

Katherine said...

We for one, I don't feel the need to argue with others that I am who I am nor do I feel the need to have something to point to to say "see, this is real". If someone disagrees with who I am am what I am doing there is not a fact in the world you can argue that will change their mind. And second I hold my head up high because I know who I am and I am proud of who I am. Not as a trans woman but as someone who is overcoming great adversity. So no, I still maintain that knowing why is not all that important to me... I acknowledge however, as I did in my post that it is important to others.

Anonymous said...

I agree that being gay or bisexual or straight does not make people want to become the other gender or something in the middle. It is how the person feels comfortable and what body parts they feel is better for them to help with their comfort in their own body to what makes them want to change gender. I have read an article of a woman who was dating a man but she, herself wants/wanted to be a man as she stated she did not feel comfortable as a woman.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am Petra I am married but have the interest in becoming a cross dresser but I am some what over weight so how do you think I should peruse it. I think all men should be able to wear what ever they want. Petra