Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Soundtrack of My Life

I've moved this over to my youTube channel! I'll just repost this article when I add new songs!

Here is the list:

Kansas - Dust In The Wind

What part of this song is not true?

Placebo - Running Up That Hill

Every time I hear this song I just get goose pimples. The video is amazing as well.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Today

Another song that stuck for a number of reasons. First, it is a great song. Second I remember seeing James Iha (the guitarist) in the video dressed as a woman. Like Kurt Cobain this helped my see that maybe I wasn't that weird.

Peter Murphy - I'll Fall With Your Knife

One of my favorite songs. If you listen to the lyrics I think you'll hear the message I do. I love everything about this osng. the words, the music and especially Peter Murphy's voice.

Enya - The Memory of Trees

This is the song my wife watched down the aisle to on our wedding day. That was one of the few 100 happy moments in my life. We got married in a beautiful garden that had these three big tiers with steps at the top. I was waiting on the stairs and when she turned to corner to start up the path my heart started pounding. Not from fear but because she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

Tool - Parabola

Just listen to the words... You cannot define Tool, you can only listen.

Nine Inch Nails - The Becoming

This song is the perfect example of how I felt... Even who I was as a teen. The referencing of the self in third person and what is said... The cry that "won't give up, it wants me dead"... 100% who I was. I hated everything about who I was and wanted it to all go away but it never did.

Coil - Ostia (The Death of Pasolini)

My friend Mike and I would go to a local goth club in Providence RI. One particular night this song came on and there was only one person dancing, a young woman, maybe 19 or 20. She was stunning and I watched here throughout the song mesmerized. Not in a voyeuristic way but instead I was 100% envious. She was everything I wanted to be at that time in my  life. This song brings that memory back like a movie every time.

Murray Attaway - Allegory

Another song from my teens that just stuck... Something about it just resonated with me and what I was experiencing.

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

When this song came out i would stare at the screen. Kurt Cobain was one of the most influential people in my life. Not only did this song change my life but this man showed me that it wasn't that weird that a man would wear women's clothes... Something I desperately needed at that age.

Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline

If you like the Red Sox you know why this song is part of my life... If not it is probably irrelevant.

Ladytron - Ghosts

Right before I came out I became almost obsessed with this song. Everything about it. I would listen to it over and over. When I heard the lyrics I couldn't help but think to myself that, like the song says, there was a ghost in me and I was tired of apologizing for it.

Blur - Song 2

Most fun you can have in 2 minutes!

Regina Spektor - On The Radio

Verse two says it all:
"This is how it works
You're young until you're not
You love until you don't
You try until you can't
You laugh until you cry
You cry until you laugh
And everyone must breathe
Until their dying breath"

Five For Fighting - 100 Years

Easily one of my favorite songs ever. This song makes me cry when I listen to it. A beautiful reminder to make it count!

Assemblage 23 - Divide

This song is just amazing... The lyrics are so relevant to how I have felt (and still do sometimes)



Playlist link

No comments: