Tuesday, May 13, 2014

5 Things I Do To Put a Smile on My Face

So this blog focuses a lot on transgender specific topics and news so I want to take a few moments to talk about something else, you. Let's step away from transition, hormones, and discrimination long enough to focus on something far more important. I want to discuss a few things I do that make me happy. Nothing earth shattering here. Just a refreshing change of pace:

1. Take a Bath

Come on, bath time is just fun. I often fill up the bath tube, get in and close my eyes. Lighting some candles and adding some bubbles or bath salts can help as well (so do rubber ducks but that's just me). Who needs a spa!

2. Go for a Walk

When I get very stressed this is what I do. We all know the health benefits of walking but for me it is more. Getting out in the world just grounds me. For me it doesn't matter if I am in the city or alone in a forest. I can retrace my steps or go somewhere completely new, the point is that going for a walk always calms my mind and lets me clear my head. Besides this it also helps me get rid of pent up energy when I am anxious!

3. Mediate

OK... I will admit. I suck at this one but that doesn't stop me from trying. If anything I just start laughing at myself for all the silly crap I think up while sitting on my bedroom floor with my eyes closed... Either way, mission accomplished.

4. Play with a Pet

Animals have this amazing ability to make us happy. There is study after study that shows being around a pet can have positive health benefits. Don't have one? Ask you friend or neighbor. I am sure someone will let you walk their dog! Also you could always go volunteer at the local animal shelter as well. Many are desperate for people to spend time with the animals. This option also comes with the added benefit of knowing that not only do you get to play with the animals, you get to help them and made there day better as well!

5. Create Something

Do you paint, sculpt, draw, write music? If not, why not? Give it a try. Being creative is a great release for emotions and lets us share our feelings in a very unique way. We don't have to be super artists either... hell, being creative doesn't have to involve art. You can create anything... Write a poem, make a sandcastle, bake a cake... build a coffee table. When we create something from scratch we can't help but feel at least a small bit accomplished!

Well, that's it. please share any other ideas you might have in the comments below!

2 comments:

polly said...

Hi Katherine. A lovely and crucial reminder, as so often I feel that being TG is 'all I do' - especially since beginning my transition, in earnest, about a year ago. I get so tired of "earth shattering" things, mainly because they never really seem to shatter anything really. Simple things are what keep the world turning, I think.
I love your blog. I can honestly say, for me, it's been one of the most helpful and nicest places on the internet.
Sincerely, thank you.
Lots of good wishes to you.

Katherine said...

Thank you so much for the kind words! They really do mean a lot.