Friday, January 10, 2014

From The Huffington Post - The Fatal Transgender Double Standard

I think every trans person has experienced something like this. You are out at a party or hanging out with friends or co workers when someone sits down. They start out innocent enough, "I think you are so brave!"... Then it happens... I know I have been asked about my genitals and personal life like it was just another question. The kicker is it is almost always followed up with "I hope you don't mind me asking..."

Yes... Yes I do mind.... More importantly there is real a danger in the underlying fact that everyone thinks our personal lives are not private. People can get hurt, loose their job, or worse when they are outed. Still for whatever reason I think there is a general feeling throughout our culture that this is ok... Anyway, rather than rewrite the article I will just post the link.

The Fatal Transgender Double Standard

No comments: