Thursday, February 13, 2014

From NCTE - Facebook Opens Gender Options for Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Users

A small gesture but I think it is a good start. If nothing else it may open up other peoples minds to realize that there are different ways to express our identities. Personally despite the fact that I am out to just about everyone I put "Female" on things like this as I don't see my being transgender as either adding or subtracting from identifying as female. I am not a different type of woman and I am certainly not expressing myself in way that I think differs from who I am... Again, personal preferences and I think this gives people the freedom to express themselves any way they want.

Way to go Facebook!

To update your gender go to your About section. Click "edit" and under the Gender dropdown select "Custom". You can then select what you would like to use as your gender. You can also select a pronoun to be associated with your profile.

1 comment:

Vikki Smith said...

I have mixed feelings about this. My first thought was the the guy on youtube who wanted all transsexual women to be on a national register. He sais it was to our benefit. The reason being straight men wouldn't accidentally have sex with us and beat us up. It was insulting and dangerous to us in reality.

Then again, being out and proud greatly benefited the gay community.

I'm going to give this some thought, but my inclination is to change my gender on Facebook to transgender.