Thursday, July 31, 2014

What To Expect After Sexual Reassignment Surgery

So I had my surgery in 2011 but still wanted to share a few things I have learned. I don't want to sound like a downer but many of the things here are not pleasant. They are however good things to know if you are going to have surgery.

So here they are:


1. Happy

I suppose this is subjective but I cried with happiness when they took the bandages off and handed me a mirror. It was both a relief and excitement for me...

2. Surgery sucks. 

have zero regrets about having surgery but you need to know it hurts, it is expensive, and it hurts... It is also 100% worth it. Dilating sucks, accept it and do it anyway. It gets better and easier with time. In fact, three years on, now it is an excuse to masturbate.

3. You will probably get depressed afterwards

Post-operative depression is a real issue after any major surgery. You may become sad, anxious, or even feel like you regret your surgery. Be aware that this may not come about until you are home. I know I went through this and having a supportive base was very helpful. Many of us are already prone to depressions and anxiety so this can become an even more serious complication. Please talk to your doctor and therapist about post-operative depression and have a plan in place to deal with it if you plan on having surgery.

4. You will probably not want to have sex afterwards

The reason for this is at least partially due to the fact that after surgery you have pretty much no testosterone. This is why some trans women actually go on low dosages of testosterone afterwards. This can also make dilating harder (as if it didn't suck already) but you need to keep with it!

5. Life Goes On

Like everything else that happens in this world, after your surgery your life kind of just moves along. We spend so much time dreaming about the day we have surgery that we often forget that the goal is to simply live our life as normal as possible. This is a beautiful goal and 100% refreshing but still it can leave you with the feeling of "what now?". This is something else that can compound with post-operative depression so please, plan on having someone to talk to. Most of all keep your goals in perceptive. Stay strong and carry on :)

Any other things you might want to share here please feel free to add in the comments!



2 comments:

Calie said...

Hi Kitty! I love your blog and featured this post, and the blog, on T-Central. I'd love for you to do a Thoughts and Reflections post for T-Central. Contact me if you're interested.

Calie

Kitty Kat Kat said...

Thanks for the kind words! I will have to get back with you in a week or so as I am swamped. :)