Thursday, November 10, 2016

Help Dealing With Depression



Get Help Now!

If you're thinking about suicide, you deserve immediate help—please call the Trevor Lifeline at 866-488-7386
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Many people go through periods of depression at some point and for trans people I think it is safe to say "most" of us can say we have. There are all kinds or articles about how depression and suicide is disproportionately higher among LGBT people and especially among trans people. That isn't what I want to share here though. Mainly I want to post a short article where I can share a few links links below to offer some resources to help deal with depression and also how to help your friends and family who may be going through it as well.
One additional tip I would suggest, especially to help with the feelings that you are alone or that no one understands is joining a local support group. It gave me a safe place to talk to people who understood what I was going through and helped me see that I really was not alone.

Lastly, please remember depression can be serious and you do not need to go through things alone. Talk to your friends and family or a therapist. It really does help. Also, the chance that you will give a non-suicidal person the idea to suddenly kill them self is virtually zero so if you are concerned that someone you know is suicidal, ask. You may save a life!

Another great resource is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at:

1 (800) 273-8255
Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a weekLanguages: English, Spanish
Website: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

No comments: