Tuesday, May 17, 2016

My Journey (May 2016)

So with everthing going on with bathroom bills i figured it was time to take care of that last bit of legal hoop jumping us trans folks find ourself jumping through and get my birth certificate updated. Well, this weekend I got my new updated document the mail. Gender marker correct and name amended! The best part is it doesn't have any mention of what my old name was. 

The process to do this in RI was pretty simple but still took some mail tag and phone calls, but mainly all just to get my ducks in a row. The health department in RI was fantastic and very helpful. In the end I needed my current ID, a notorized copy of my doctors letter saying I was "treated", a stamped copy of my name change petition showing my birthday, the court order approving the name change and the $30 fee. After that they mailed me an affidavit to fill out and once I did and had it notorized they sent my new birth certificate.

I know the process in other states may be different but hope this helps to get an idea of what docs you may need.

In other areas of my life, my hair is growing in which is awesome! What is not awesome is the self doubt and sometimes crude inner voice I hear leaving me paralyzed with fear when dating. That is becoming very much a stressful part of my life.

Until next time.

XOXO

Kat

No comments: