Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Book Review: Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity

By Julia Serano

I wrote this book review almost seven years ago but I find myself still suggesting this book to others. In fact after just repurchasing it about a month ago I have already lent it out again! Very few books have left such a lasting impression on my thoughts on gender, feminism and identity. Below is my original review:

This book is a mind opening and thought provoking read that is great for just about anyone. Many of Ms. Serano's arguments on how society views femininity and the resulting opinions of what it means to identify as female (especially for transsexuals) are well thought out and based on sound reasoning. I found myself reexamining many of my very own ideas about who I am and how others preserve me.

I recommend this book not only to transsexuals, but just about anyone who wants a fresh perspective on how our culture views and reacts to differences in gender expression.

Buy Now: Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity

No comments: